With both a huge leap in technology and the demands of the pandemic, millions of Americans are suddenly working- and teaching- from the comfort of their own homes. For many of these families who are newly home-bound, there’s an unexpected expense awaiting in the wings- a higher energy bill. When you stay home all day and work from home, it often means that your heater or air conditioner (either of which can account for up to half of an electric bill) is basically working in overdrive and having to pump a lot more air throughout the day. Of course, you also have to take into account the lights staying on longer, computers charging more frequently, and printers printing more and more often. All of this extra electricity use adds up really quickly, as many homeowners are now finding out. Read on to learn more about some quick and easy ways on how to save energy at home. Installing solar panels for your home is a great way to save on energy bills long-term. If you’re looking for a “solar company near me” in Florida, call SEM Power at our Tampa headquarters today!
Tips On How To Save Energy At Home
With more people working from home or staying at home thanks to the pandemic, energy bills are going through the roof! Luckily, there are many quick and simple ways to save energy while you are working from home or stuck at home due to the pandemic:
- Use your laptop rather than your desktop computer. Laptops use a lot less energy
- Use a power strip and not a wall socket. This is due to the fact that devices plugged into the wall suck up electricity even when they’re turned off. However, if you plug into a power strip and turn it off at the end of the day, your office equipment is cut off from the source of electricity.
- Shut off your computer, lights, and other equipment if you’re not planning on using them for a while. This may be obvious, but we often forget this!
- Activate the power-management settings on your computer. This alone can save up to $100 per computer every single year!
Looking For A “Solar Company Near Me”?
Other types of cost-saving measures are more of an investment, but absolutely pay off in the long run, such as installing solar panels for your home. In the meantime, here are some other energy saving tips:
- Run washing machines and dishwashers only when they’re totally full, which saves both water and money
- If your local utility has peak rates (higher energy costs during high-demand hours like afternoon and early evening) take these into account and run some of your appliances during off-peak times
- If there aren’t any restaurants open for date night, you can give your lamps a night off and be romantic when you dine by candlelight
- If movie night is more your style, channel those classic theatre vibes by turning off the lights when you enjoy your favorite flick.
Contact Us Today
When it comes to how to save energy at home, every little bit helps. But if you really want to make a long-term impact, you may want to look for a “solar company near me.” Call SEM Power at our Tampa headquarters for your Florida solar needs today!